Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Photography: It's an inside job


 
A white and gray day.
     

The various shades of white show the lines of the shingles, the grassy
areas and the trees in contrast with the even, flat street and driveways.
     We had a brief spat of snow this afternoon so, being the intrepid photographer I am, I hauled out my Sony Cyber-shot 5.0 Megapixel camera and recorded the event. Then I turned to my trusty Flip video camera and made a short film about the event.

          All while standing in front of the window upstairs in our condo. Read on.

        
Here you can see faint tracks where cars have driven by. Compare this with the next image, where the
sun has popped out less than five minutes after this shot was taken.


  It was cold out there. Real cold. I mean, intrepid is one thing. Stupid is something else again. I wasn’t about to go outside into that mess.



A few minutes can make a wonderful difference, as these last
two images show. Same camera, location and view.


          The first images you see here are the standard snow storm in the front yard stuff. I used Photoshop to ramp up the contrast and sharpen the features. The images face the west, which is where the storm came from, and you feel the grayness of the moment.

          A few minutes after I captured those images, the snow stopped and the sun flashed out for a while. That second event is the subject of the next set of images.

          Snow is not much fun to walk in and no fun at all to slip on, but it can make for a fun image. Fun, that is, as long as you’re inside the nice, warm condo.
          Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment