Sunday, January 27, 2013

2013: The year of the Gettysburg calendar


          It isn’t too late to buy a copy of my 2013 Gettysburg battlefield calendar for your office, kitchen, dining room, hallway and garage. I encourage you to visit the calendar on eBay. I have dropped the price due to a lack of popular demand and I’m sure you’ll enjoy the lower price.

          Don’t worry that you might order too many. I have plenty in stock.


Here is a dramatic, sunset image from my 2013 calendar.
          My first visit to Gettysburg was a life-changer. I walked from the Lewis Armistead marker to the Virginia Memorial, which is the reverse of Pickett’s charge, and then walked back. I knew nothing about the battle at the time and I remember telling my wife Amy that I then understood what the Confederates did but I had no idea how or why they did it.

          Since that initial visit, I’ve been back to Gettysburg six times for roughly 36 total days and I have read a great deal about the battle. I still haven’t seen the entire battlefield but I have managed to photograph most of what I’ve seen. I try to focus on specific areas each day I’m there but, somehow, I end up on Little Round Top almost every day.

          My next goal is to climb Culp’s Hill, but I’ll need a hiking partner for that job. The Hill is steep in places and I’d feel safer if I wasn’t alone. I’ll have to make the climb with my camera gear and that’s a lot of weight to carry on a hill climb, so there is a need to be careful.


Here is an historic view from my 2013 Gettysburg calendar.
          I have also photographed areas of the Chickamauga National Military Park and I have visited the site of the first battle of Bull Run.

          Photographers love National Military Parks. Many shooters capture dramatic images of statues and memorials at sunset or sunrise. I’ve done that, too, and some of those images are among the 14 shots I selected for my calendar.

          The real challenge for me is to capture history in a pleasing image. My calendar includes the view from Little Round Top and the ambush site on the cavalry field. I want the viewer to see where history happened in a way that helps understand what happened.

          If nothing else, go visit my add on eBay. My calendar is feeling a bit lonely.
 
          Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment