Monday, March 3, 2014

Artists are beholden to the beholders


          Nobody has ever confused your loyal blogger with an art expert. Everything I know about painting can be summed up this way: It is best to use even strokes so that the wall looks the same from end to end.

          When Mrs. Leeway and I visited two major art museums within the space of a few weeks, it was a major shift in behavior.

Not for her, you understand. My wife is the soul of refinement, the essence of elegance and the embodiment of everything that is right in the world. She likes art.

          I am somewhat less refined. My idea of art is a snazzy paint job on a racecar.

          Still, we visited the art museums in Philadelphia (where the statue of Rocky stands) and the one in Cleveland and had wonderful visits to both. All the big-name painters have work in both places and yours truly discovered that painters from the same school of work as Rembrandt, whatever you call those guys, are my faves.

          In photographers’ terms, those works show more focus through a deeper level of contrast than most others. They look more realistic, so they are easier to look at.

          Both museums had photo galleries, but neither photo gallery was overly exciting.

          Each had armory exhibits and these were interesting. Philadelphia’s display included a sword from the Viking era and Cleveland’s had a shotgun once owned by Napoleon Bonaparte. Great stuff.

          The Cleveland museum is free to enter. I closed my eyes and handed over my credit card in Philly. I have no idea what it costs to visit there, but the trip was worth the price because it is a well-run location and the art, I am told, is excellent.

          A visitor to Philadelphia or Cleveland would enjoy spending time in either museum, but a word of caution: Take a taxi or a bus. The condition of the streets in both towns, and the brutal driving style needed in Philadelphia, can be very hard on a car. Save yours and let someone else deal with it.
 
          Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment