Saturday, September 22, 2012

Focus on the final day


 
          FAIRVIEW HEIGHTS, Ill. – The final night for the move is in this city, just outside of St. Louis. Maggie, Coolidge and I are ready for the drive to end. We’ll be in northern Ohio by the end of the afternoon tomorrow.

          The Focus gave us really strong fuel mileage today, better than 39 mpg for the first stint. I’ll get today’s second stint’s stats when I fill the tank in the morning. We’re over 2,200 miles for the trip right now, so we’ll finish at just under 3,000.

          Amy got the word today that the moving company will show up Sunday morning, so I should arrive long after the unloading work is complete. Finally, something goes right.

          We finally got some cooler temperatures today. It was the first time on the trip that the ambient temperature in the afternoon was below 85 degrees. It was not above 72 degrees anyplace we went today.

What an odd thing to happen: It was cool enough that I had to don a sweatshirt when I walked Maggie this evening. I wonder if I’ll have to do that in Ohio as well. Anybody know?

Coolidge the plant continues to give me the silent treatment (see yesterday’s blog), but Maggie the dog was very sociable today. Maggie tried to peer through the front windshield while I was driving by placing her paws on some of the stuff I have jammed behind the front seats. She raised herself up to look several times. I had to make her get down in order to keep the rear view mirror clear.

Tomorrow’s drive is one I know well: Into Indiana, get stuck in a traffic snarl near Terry Haute, drive around Indianapolis and then into Ohio. Pass through Dayton, go around Columbus, head north and finally get to the Akron area.

One day back in 2004, my wife looked at me and told me she realized that we could not continue to live in California after she retired. The process we began that day ends tomorrow when we’ll both be in our condo (along with Maggie and Coolidge) and we’ll start listing it as our residence.

Hard to believe.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment