Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Focus on Albuquerque


          ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – We made the run here from Tucson today, stopping a few times to give our dog a chance to drink some water and walk a little. We spent about eight hours on the road, including the stops.

          The Focus averaged about 34 miles per gallon but the speed limit was 75 mph most of the way and we sat on cruise control at the limit.

          We’ll be here two nights before we make the big switch: Amy will take a plane to Ohio while Maggie and I drive across the plains.

          The moving company somehow botched the contract and, although we signed paperwork that should have resulted in one arrival date, our belongings will probably get to our new condo three days earlier. Thus Amy’s flight after our visit with our son and his wife here.

          One interesting note: We did not get lost with the GPS device during this trip, we lost the GPS device. The total tonnage of stuff we have lost or misplaced within the last week is staggering but losing the GPS is pretty weird.

          This makes for my third trip across the country since June of last year. First, driving a Chevy Aveo (Oxnard to Baltimore, a five-day boreathon), then in my Mustang (Oxnard to Ohio, forget the mirrors and drop the hammer) and finally this trip (Oxnard, Tucson, Albuquerque and beyond with the dog in the back seat).

          The high desert here in New Mexico has a special beauty, a combination of boulders and greenery. I enjoy the changing vistas that roll by on a cross country tour and I found myself wishing I had time to pull out the Nikon.

          A few errands tomorrow and then my son will help me with some Photoshop issues in the afternoon before we all go to dinner.

          The Focus will be roomier as the dog and I roll eastward. We brought some things to give Sean, so that stuff is gone now. Amy’s baggage will go with her as she takes a plane over the plains, while the dog and I take a plain car planning across the plain states. Which is all plainly clear, I’m sure.

          I’m not sure where my next stop is from here. I guess I should get that information from Amy before she gets on her…well…you get the idea.
          Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment