Saturday, June 30, 2012

Walking the fields




          Today was a walking day, more walking than photography. The weather conditions were much more suitable than the day before.


This explains itself, right?
          Much of the morning was spent on Cemetery Ridge, starting near the copse of trees that the Confederates famously aimed for during their attack on the third day of the battle. The camera pretty much led the way and we ended up next to the marker where Union General Winfield Scott was wounded.

          The Peach Orchard, which has great historic significance in terms of the battle, was next but I have not had much luck there with the Nikon. There are two images I want to get from that location and they continue to elude me. It’s frustrating, but I’m under-lensed for one and I can’t seem to get there when the light is right for the other. These problems would never happen if Dan Sickles had only followed orders.

          When in trouble, blame it on the dead guy.

          By mid-day the heat was turning a little rugged and the humidity was growing. I considered attending the annual collectors show near the battlefield, but instead walked through the showcase of weapons in the battlefield Visitors Center. The Visitors Center is free, you understand, while the collectors show has an admission fee.

If the fee is not free, don’t look for me.

The small farm house that served as General Meade's
headquarters during the battle of Gettysburg.
Next up was the planned stroll across the farm fields where Pickett’s Charge took place. I stopped to photograph the farmhouse where Union Commanding General George Meade made his headquarters during the battle. It’s a neat, little house with white fencing surrounding a small garden and more fences in a larger area.

Finally, when I couldn’t stall any longer, I set off across the field separating the Union positions on Cemetery Ridge and the Confederate line on Seminary Ridge. The distance is about a mile and I took a path I hadn’t used before. Not a bad walk if you don’t have 19 pounds of photographic equipment on your back, as I did. The first half of today’s longest trek crossed from the Union side to the Confederate.

After reaching the Virginia Memorial, I turned around and headed back toward the Union line. I tried to imagine the sounds and sights of the battle (anything to take my mind off the load I was carrying). I completed the walk by stepping over the rocks that form a rough stepping path through the Angle, where a small group of Confederates pierced the Union defenses.

The Confederates that rushed through the Angle must have caused a ruckus before they were killed or captured. Historians who know a lot more than I do estimate that between 100 and 200 Confederates got through the Angle before they were subdued. We don’t know how much trouble they made behind the enemy lines.

The distinctive Cordori barn, which is not the hotel we use here
in Gettysburg.
I was in no mood to make trouble when I forced my way through the Angle today, believe me. In fact, I was in the mood to A) return to the air conditioned hotel immediately and download the images from my camera to my computer, B) study the images closely and C) eat dinner.

We ate at Hoss’s. Great food, fair price, terrific air conditioning.

There was enough daylight remaining after dinner for a return to the battlefield, but I needed to continue my study of the day’s images in the climate-controlled hotel room. After all, you can never learn too much.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment