Saturday, June 16, 2012

Gettysburg bound


            We are heading for Gettysburg next week, our annual trek to the site of the Civil War’s most famous battle. I look forward to this trip all year every year and I spend weeks making notes for locations I want to visit and photograph.

          I have battlefield map on which I make still more notes, draw arrows and track the path of the sunlight.

          I could probably burn the notes in the fireplace as soon as I write them for all the good they do me. Once I get to the battlefield, my mind goes to La La Land and the carefully-prepared notes are forgotten. I start following the history, wherever that leads me, and the carefully considered notes, which sit faithfully in the rental car, are forgotten. Last year I accomplished two items on a checklist I made for myself. The checklist was two pages long.

          But I don’t burn the notes. This is partially due to the fact that the landlord does not allow us to burn stuff in the fireplace because it is a gas-fed fireplace.

          My pal Buck Weber asked me the other day whether I’m doing research or preparing for an attack before each visit. I really didn’t have an answer for him.

          The first five days of this year’s visit will be spent attending the Civil War Institute at Gettysburg College. I attended my first CWI last summer and greatly enjoyed myself. I learned a great deal and I hope to do the same this year.

          Once the institute is over, I’ll spend several days walking the battlefield. There are several areas which I haven’t visited yet and I want to spend time in some of those locations this year. I photograph the areas in order to help myself understand what I’m reading when I study the battle, so I take fewer pix of monuments and more of the battlefield’s vistas. My idea is to capture the views the soldiers might have seen or at least the ground they covered on a given day.

          Part of the CWI each year is a variety of walking lecture/tours of specific areas of the Gettysburg battlefield. Attendees are given a list of tours and select three favorites. They’ll likely be assigned one of the three favorites. Last year I followed a tour of the areas where the Union sharpshooters worked, a fantastic few hours of history. This year I’ve been lucky and have been assigned a walking lecture following the Alabamians’ attack on Little Round Top.

           There were other lecture/tours that looked interesting to me and it was difficult to pick just three favorites but I’m very happy with this assignment. The Little Round Top area tugs at me every time I visit Gettysburg and I’ll get some in-depth education on the fighting there with this lecture/tour. It was an Alabama bunch that butted heads with the 20th Maine on the left-most edge of LRT.

          The CWI also offers single-day field trips to other battlefields, but this year I decided not to take a field trip. I’ll stay in Gettysburg and wander the battlefield some more.

          Amy and I have come to enjoy the Gettysburg community so much that I took time off from the battlefield and we drove around some of the neighborhoods to look at real estate prices last year. The prices were reasonable but just a bit too high for us. We’d still like to buy a condo there sometime so we could travel frequently from our new home in Ohio and be free to spend all the time we want at Gettysburg. But that will have to wait, if it happens at all.

          On our first visit to Gettysburg, I walked the area of the Confederate charge on the battle’s final day. I reported back to my wife that I saw where Lee’s troops charged. I had no idea how they did it and even less idea why they did it. I ask myself those three questions at every battlefield location: What happened here? How did it go? Why did it happen that way?

          I’ll be asking those questions again next week.
          Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment