Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Amarillo by Evening

    
                AMARILLO, Texas – Today’s second stint was largely wind-blown. The Aveo and I had to push through the winds of northern Arizona, New Mexico and, to a lesser extent, Texas. The Aveo has a fairly tall profile and cross winds make life busy for the driver. You have to be awake, especially when you go around a big rig or have one go around you.
            My determination to be extra efficient with the driving time went out the window as soon as I saw a highway sign informing me that Winslow, Arizona was less than an hour outside of today’s starting point, Flagstaff. My will power steadily drained with every flashing mile and I pulled off the 40 at the second Winslow exit.
            I drove two blocks and pulled into the McDonalds on my left and parked there. Then I stood on a corner in Winslow, Arizona and looked for a girl in a flatbed Ford. I had hoped something magical might happen because I noticed that there was a Ford dealership across the highway from the McDonalds.
            No flatbed Fords showed up and nobody slowed down to take a look at me, but a Chevy pickup towing an open trailer turned left and went by. I took some snapshots and videoed the pickup.
            Sometimes you win and sometimes you have to change songs.
            I popped into the McDonalds for a soda, since I had used their parking lot, and told the young woman behind the counter that I had stood on the corner. That’s when I found out there is a corner some distance away with a statue and that’s where everyone goes to reenact the song. Well, maybe that’s where they go. I go to the one near McDonalds.
            The remainder of the trip was routine. I bought gas in Albuquerque. I’ll have to do the stats in tomorrow’s blog. I left the stuff in the car and I’m too worn out to get it now. Went over 1,000 miles for the trip just after crossing into Texas.
            Next stop is Springfield, Missouri. The route goes through Oklahoma City (where I change to the 44), Joplin, Missouri and then to Springfield.
            Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment