Monday, February 3, 2020

The Civil War Institute: My annual homecoming


The goal for this blog has always been to avoid writing in the first person. It is a personal writing challenge that I set for myself and typically this blog is written that way.


Today I get to break the rule and write in the first person about the Civil War Institute, a conference I attend each year at Gettysburg College in Pennsylvania. The CWI is a five-day, deep dive into Civil War study and it is my favorite week of the year, every year. I was worried that last year might be our last Gettysburg visit and with everything that happened last summer it could have been. But we’ll be back this year and I want you to know why this is such good news for us.


The speakers at the CWI cover a wide range of Civil War-related topics. Every topic you might imagine has been covered, one way or another, in the years I have attended the conference and I am sure that something new will be covered this year. My interest in the war mostly concentrates on what happened on the battlefields. I want to know about the strategy and tactics, the quality of leadership, the impact of the terrain on the flow of battle and the successes or failures of the individual soldiers. But I know that you can’t understand the four years of battlefield struggle if you don’t understand everything else about the era. In 2012 we heard about race and the American military tradition and about life in post-war Kentucky. In 2015 a panel explored the iconic photographs of the war. In 2016 Mark W. Summers spoke about the questions of Reconstruction and I wrote in my CWI notebook, “Wow – what a speaker.” Dr. Peter Carmichael runs the CWI and he speaks every year. His 2019 address, A Hoosier Couple at War – And Mostly With Each Other: Mahala and David Beem, was brilliant. Other speakers I have come to really enjoy at the CWI include Gary Gallagher, Susannah J. Ural, Megan Kate Nelson and Jennifer Murray. I have other favorites but this would be a long blog if I mentioned all of them. 


Last year, Amy and I explored both Richmond and the battlefield at Petersburg before we went to Gettysburg and I explained to my patient, loving and brilliant wife how the trenches of the American Civil War set the stage for the trench warfare of World War I. A few days later, during a CWI address, Earl Hess explained on national television exactly how wrong I was. Dr. Hess is a terrific historian and a wonderful speaker, but I could have done without his eloquence that day.


Amy does not attend the conference but she has come to love Gettysburg. There are several places where we like to eat and the staff at the hotel where we stay has come to know her after ten years. I usually have the car – whether I’m walking the battlefield or attending the CWI I hog the car – but there is a very good bus service that Amy uses to get around town and she enjoys using that service. The hotel also has a multi-screen movie theater in the same parking lot, so Amy catches up on the flicks while we are there.


Sometimes I’ll figure something out on a battlefield somewhere, some very minor point of little importance, and I’ll drive Amy out near the location so that I can show her whatever it is that I was so slow to understand. Amy always thanks me for showing her what I’ve learned. Then she tells me where we’re going for lunch. My best girl listens to me prattle pointlessly on a battlefield with lunch looming. Life is pretty good sometimes.


And I have to write something else, too, another personal note. The CWI staff has been so friendly through the years that I have come to feel as though I am coming home every time we leave our home and head for the CWI. There has never been a time when I didn’t feel welcome. The staffers simply make you happy to be there. 


In short, this blog recommends the CWI for those people interested in history of any kind and especially the American Civil War. You can’t help but learn a lot, you get to spend time with roughly 400 other like-minded people and have a great time doing it. If you register and attend, I hope you’ll find me and say hello.


Just don’t bring up the trenches of World War I. That topic has been covered.
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment