Tuesday, July 25, 2017

My book will be published soon


          It is time to blog about my book. The urge to do so has been strong for months and some of the material for previous editions of this blog has stemmed from the research done for the book. I delayed writing about the book itself until now.




          My book, That Bloody Hill: Hilliard’s Legion at Chickamauga, is due to be published either late this year or next spring by McFarland, a leading independent publisher of academic and nonfiction books. It is an amazing experience to peruse the McFarland shelves and understand the range of topics covered. It will be an honor to see a copy of my book on one of those shelves someday.

          The decision to blog about the book was made easier when I recently saw the cover for the first time. To be blunt, I love the cover of my book. I will be very happy to arrange speaking engagements and bring copies of the book with me to sell because I think the book has a strong cover and good covers sell books.

          That Bloody Hill: Hilliard’s Legion at Chickamauga is the result of twelve long years of research, writing, photography and travel. It started out as a letter I sent to my father, along with a CD full of pictures, after my first visit to the battlefield at the Chickamauga/Chattanooga National Military Park. Then I thought that, with just a bit more research, I could write an article for one of the Civil War magazines I frequently read. When my magazine piece reached 10,000 words and was not near the end, I realized I needed to write a book.

          You can find the result on page 12 of the McFarland’s Fall catalog:






You can find it on Amazon:






          You can find it at Barnes & Noble:






          So long as you find it, that’s what matters.

          I came to learn that writing a book is a journey and you learn a great deal along the way, sometimes about your subject and sometimes about yourself. When the day comes that I put copies of my book in the hands of my family and friends, even if by mail, that journey will be complete.
          Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment