Monday, June 13, 2016

Taking in the 2016 Civil War Institute with an old pal


         


         

          This week, a rare opportunity to walk the fields of Gettysburg with close friend and Founding Member of the Wall Gang, Bucky Weber. This trip is something we have talked about for years and now, thanks to the patience, understanding and humor of our wives we finally get to do it.
          Buck and I are both history buffs although I think he has been interested in the American Civil War longer than I. He has visited Gettysburg once before, just one day in a severely limited capacity, and has longed to return. I am so pleased that we got to go together.
          Mrs. Leeway and I have visited Gettysburg annually for eight years. This is the sixth year for me at the Civil War Institute at Gettysburg College, a tremendous, 5-day conference featuring some really great presenters. The theme of this year’s CWI is Reconstruction.
          One part of my CWI experience this year will be a tour with brilliant Civil War historian Susannah Ural. We’ll follow the steps of the 4th Texas Infantry at Little Round Top. It just doesn’t get much better than that.
          Funny thing this year: I worked in New Jersey this past weekend and drove by the Gettysburg cutoff on the way home today. We’ll drive back there Wednesday but this time we’ll TAKE the cutoff.
          Darn right.
          Amy and I have two restaurants we like it Gettysburg and the three of us will make our pilgrimages this year. Regan and Erik plan to come down to see us Sunday and we’ll probably hit the pub GarryOwen (sic) on that day.
          My battlefield equipment: Heavy walking boots, a large-billed sun hat, jeans, lots of sun screen and bug repellant, dark glasses and photo gear. One very light windbreaker in case of rain (it’s usually a warm rain in June, so I use the windbreaker to protect my camera). Oh, I usually bring the map, too.
Maps of the battlefield are available at the Visitors Center and I get one for every visit in order to mark various vantage points. Multiple batteries for each camera, a monopod and a tripod. My gear fits in one large camera bag. I have walked all over the battlefield with that bag.
I usually arrive at a battlefield with a detailed plan for my field walks but this year my plan is to go where my buddy wants to go, since it is really his first visit. We’ll look at his check list, plan a route and go. We have Wednesday afternoon/evening and all day Thursday at the battlefield. The CWI starts Friday afternoon and runs through Tuesday. Another day and a half on the battlefield after that before we head home.


One thing I’d like to show Bucky, if there is time: The location where the Maryland regiment of Union soldiers defended Culp’s Hill against the charge of the Confederate Marylanders.
Mrs. Leeway is smarter than Mr. Weber and I. She spends much of our Gettysburg stays in the air-conditioned hotel room, sometimes venturing across the hotel parking lot to the movie theater or to the outlet mall. There is very inexpensive public transportation that stops at our hotel roughly every hour. She’ll join us for the ice cream social at the CWI and for the big dinner on the final night of the Institute.
Hard to explain how excited Amy and I are about Bucky’s visit and our trip to Gettysburg. One thing for sure, we’ll all be posting on various platforms. Hope you can look us up.

No comments:

Post a Comment