Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Natural blogging


          I was walking out the computer room after blogging practice the other day when this skinny guy fell is step beside me and started jabbering.

          You see guys like this sometimes. He wore three heavy gold chains around his neck, his shirt was open to the middle of his hairy chest, the bill of his ball cap was rolled up and he wore pink-tinted sunglasses. He wore a green silk sweats and black socks inside his sandals.

          Man, could this guy talk.

          “Heard you missed a few blogs last week,” he said.

          I nodded, just to be polite. “Strained syntax. Be ready to go in a day or two.”

          “Kid, you’re too good to miss time that way. You should be using this new blog medicine. Give you stronger sentence structure in no time. Your words will hit harder and longer. Turn on the computer, bring up the blog and inject this stuff once a week. You’ll have a stronger blog.”

          My blog is afraid of needles and, besides, all of us had been warned about talking to guys like this. I told him it is against blog league rules to use that stuff.

          “Hah,” the guy said. “There is no test that catches this stuff. Every blog in the league uses this stuff. You have no chance to beat them if you don’t start using it soon. Besides, it’s only against the rules if you get caught.”

          “What’s the name of this stuff,” I asked.

          “Grammerlisterine,” he said. “Most bloggers we work with say their punctuation gets better as soon as they start using. Their breath smells better, too.”

          It sounded too good, if you catch my drift. This guy was pretty slick. He seemed to have an answer for everything, but he didn’t actually say anything. I wondered if he wasn’t a closet politician.

          “What about the side effects,” I asked. “The long-term stuff, like when my blog gets old.”

          “Do you really want an old blog, Kid? When this one starts to look old, dump it and start another one. Use Grammerlisterine from the start with the next one and your blog will be really powerful. Have you noticed how good some of these high school bloggers are now? They’re all using this stuff.”

          I was amazed to hear that teenaged kids were using WEDs (Writing Enhancing Drugs).

          “Most of my business comes from teenaged blogs that can’t attract readers but think they’re going to get rich in the NBL (National Blogging League) someday.”

          WEDs had been in the news a lot that month. Lots of blogs had been suspended for wording up (that’s what bloggers call using WEDs). You probably read about the most recent MPB (Most Popular Blog) sitting out the whole blogging season after getting caught using Paragraph Growth Hormone.

          I knew I had to get away from this guy. When we came up to a crowd of people as we were walking, I pushed through and then cut into a building doorway just to get away from the guy. I’d heard about blogs that died after struggling for years with writers block. Every one of them could trace the illness back to WED use. I didn’t want to be another blogging statistic and, anyway, I liked the challenge of blogging naturally against CEBs (Chemically Enhanced Blogs).

          I still enjoy that challenge.

          I reported being approached by the guy to my coaches and they contacted the league office. It turned out the guy was already under investigation for providing common sense to members of congress. CS, as you know, was banned for use by government employees years ago.

          I want all of you to know that this happened. I was smart enough stay away from WEDs, but your little blogs might someday be approached the same way I was. It’s never too late to teach the little ones about the safe, smart way to blog.
 
          Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment